Here is what you need to do for eCommerce using WordPress.
- Install WordPress with MAMP locally for your experimental web site
- How to use WordPress
- Choose theme
- Install plugins (wooCommerce)
- Membership considerations
- Setup ssl and test the purchase
- Multi-langual considerations
- Subscribe to Web Hosting
- Move your experimental site to online web hosting (set SSL)
Install WordPress with MAMP locally for your experimental web site
Why I suggest you to install it locally ? Why not simply find a web hosting, subscribe to it and start the site building right away ?
- You don’t need to expose your web site before you have completed the construction.
- Lower your starting cost. Sooner you subscribe to online services implies earlier you start to pay. It takes some time for you to build the web site, especially if you are beginner for site building. While you are still developing your web site, your web store is not functioning and does not make income for you. It would be better if you can save money in this stage.
- Developing locally is more efficient, you are not suffering from the internet bandwidth, nor any storage limit (local storage is usually cheaper than web hosting storage, though most web hosting allows you to have 100GB+ storage). You can act on the files directly. On the other side, web hosting company normally request you to operate your site files by control panel via web browser. That is not as convenient as if you operate directly in your computer.
- Another efficient example. If you want to make huge modification to your site, say, you want to import some demo data for a particular theme. You can start with a folder as your first web site directory (see Install WordPress locally in Your Mac With MAMP for details), then simply duplicate the whole folder, and set the MAMP Preferences to use the new folder in the Apache. You can now import demo data to one site, and can even switch between the two sites to compare them.
Install wooCommerce plugins
wooCommerce is a free plugin for creating eCommerce web site. Trouble with wooCommerce is: the documentation and available help is poor.